About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

An Award


Barbara over at Writing From The Inside Out has given me the Bloggers With Integrity Award in the catagory of Social Conscience.
This award was started by The Little Aussie Cynic to give props to those bloggers who stay true to themselves.


The following paragraph, which explains the basis of the award, is taken from her blog:


"After looking, reading and watching many many Blogs and bloggers I decided to
issue some recognition to those fellow bloggers I feel maintain integrity in the
Blogs. All these bloggers incorporate within their wonderful sites, an integrity
not always seen. They share terrific stories, topics, discussions and images.
All Well worth a look."

I am honored to receive such an award but I feel a bit undeserving of it too. OK, I feel a lot undeserving of it. Honestly, the only reason I am involved with any of the things I do is because of Jesus. I believe that if I'm going to follow Him then I had better be about doing the things He cares about and one thing that it is obvious He cares about are the poor. If I could have found a way around Matthew 25:31-46, I would have. Selfishness comes very easily to me. Maybe more easily to me because I am an only child?? Yet there is no greater joy that reaching out to serve others. Make no mistake, if it were not for Jesus I would most definitely be serving myself every day of the week.
What's different about this award is that she has broken it down into several categories.


I am awarding it to the following bloggers:
For Creativity: David has a way of blending humor and wisdom that few other people do. He can say something so powerfully moving and yet make you laugh at the same time. He is a gift.
For Staying True To Their Beliefs: Brian Brian has a warped sense of humor but if you can stomach the silly Taser pics, you will see the heart behind this blogger. He has worked as an associate pastor for 20 years at the same church. He has passed up numerous opportunities to pastor other churches, large and small, and had passed on many opportunities to serve himself. He has continuously put others ahead of himself, at home and at church. I can say that because I've been married to him for 25 years. He constantly deals with issues that most people would lose patience with but does so in a gracious manner. Probably no one, not even me, will ever know all that he deals with. He is by far the most trustworthy person I know.
For Keeping It Real: On Soildering The blog of a young soldier in Iraq. Nate's talent for writing will give a glimpse into a world that most of us will never be able to fully appreciate.
For Social Conscience: Today at the Mission It's been a joy to read this blog. I'm not sure anyone I know is more like Christ than RWK.

3 comments:

Barbara (aka Layla) said...

Amber, you COULD have found away around that verse, many people have, you chose NOT to.

Brian is very deserving of all sorts of awards if you ask me...like "the pastor most willing to dress up like a chicken to deliver a sermon".

David needs to post more (maybe you'll inspire him to do so)

and RKW - excellent choice. He's one of my heroes.

David Cho said...

Finding a way around Bible verses and explaining them away... We do that all the time and that passage from Matthew was one that my "mentor" jumped all over to make sure I did not "misunderstand" it when he berated what he called the "social gospel."

Well, thank you so much for the award (blushing....).

Agreed about Brian. Those Taser pics are funny. How often does he use Taser in his sermons? Not any of the ones he posts, but I know they are only clips.

afaithreconsidered said...

Amber, you are so deserving of the award. Envision me standing and applauding now.

You said, "Honestly, the only reason I am involved with any of the things I do is because of Jesus...if it were not for Jesus I would most definitely be serving myself every day of the week." But you do so much more than most people. And I have never, ever sensed that you are doing this out of duty or to manipulate or impress other people. It comes out of who you are. It comes from your heart.

From my perspective, the fact that you have known a share of pain in your life has become a source of empathy and compassion. So many people would turn it into bitterness, cynicism, self-pity, etc.

I know that you are a very human woman. But I honestly do admire you.

Gary