About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Monday, November 05, 2007

A Day I've Dreaded For 18 1/2 Years


My son Logan left this morning for Columbus to sign up with the Ohio National Guard. It could be worse. He could be with another branch of the military that would put him in more danger, but this is quite bad enough with a war going on.


We had planned for the three of us, me, his dad and him, to go to breakfast together before sending him off. I didn't make it.


Driving through the neighborhood there were too many little boys standing on the corner to catch their bus and go off to Kindergarten and too many moms and dads standing with them who have no idea how fast the time will pass.


I pulled my Jeep over, called my husband and told him I was going to have to let him do this. I just can't. It would not be good to bawl my way through breakfast. I have no problem with my kids growing up and leaving home. When Cody married Allison and moved out it was sad but it was OK. This, this is something else entirely.
The pic is of Cody and Logan and Jazz. Logan was 3, Cody 7 and Jazz was a puppy.

3 comments:

Barbara (aka Layla) said...

I am holding you in my prayers.

afaithreconsidered said...

That is incredibly scary! I can only imagine how difficult this must be for you.

Dear Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
I am disheartened at this news. I admit that I grieve to hear it. I ask that You would protect Logan and keep him from harm. Please also comfort his family as they deal with this decision. AMEN

Amber said...

Thanks friends. Logan called last night to tell me he wouldn't be home for dinner tonight. He talked to someone who had done this before and they told him it was a real "all day, welcome to the Army kind of day". LOL. He talked for a minute and then said to someone in the background, "Huh?" He then had to get off the phone quickly. I wonder if they told him he couldn't call his Mamma the first night away. :)