About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Historic

When I visit Pine Ridge Reservation I am always struck by the history of the place. Indeed, so much United States history has played out in that area that it is difficult to ignore it.

Today marks the anniversary of one of the most infamous of events that occurred there.
Today is the anniversary of the Massacre at Wounded Knee. It is often referred to as the last battle between the United States and Indians. But there was no battle, only a massacre of innocents. Five hundred troops from the U.S. 7th Calvary which has formerly fought under General Custer, opened fire on 350 unarmed Lakota men, women and children.

The stories vary as they usually do when something like this happens. In short, the 7th Calvary was ordered to disarm the Lakota and it was during this process that a deaf man who did not understand what was happening refused to give up his rifle. Shots rang out and then chaos as
the Calvary opened fire. By the time it was over, more than 146 men, women and children of the Lakota Sioux lay dead. Twenty-five soldiers were also dead but it is not known whether they died at the hands of the Lakota or by "friendly fire".

While the bodies of the dead were left scattered over the field to freeze, the wounded were taken to an agency church which was quickly converted into a clinic. Ironically, being a few days after Christmas, the church was still decorated with a banner that read "Peace on Earth, Goodwill to Men".

The U.S. soldiers were awarded Congressional Medals of Honor, which still stand to this day. This video tells the story. It's almost 10 min. long, but it is extremely well done and informative.




Today is a historic day, but Pine Ridge Reservation continues to make history. In the early 70's there was an uprising at Wounded Knee. Our group always travels to Wounded Knee to see the Memorial with the mass grave from the 1890 massacre, and to see the church shot full of bullet holes during the 70's uprising.

And as recently as last week, the Lakota officially withdrew from the U.S. Today more history-making events are scheduled to occur when the Lakota reveal the "new land boundaries". I am curious to see how that will take place and what effects it will have.

3 comments:

MICKY said...

About 3 years ago I dropped into a black hole – four months of absolute terror. I wanted to end my life, but somehow [Holy Spirit], I reached out to a friend who took me to hospital. I had three visits [hospital] in four months – I actually thought I was in hell.

I imagine I was going through some sort of metamorphosis [mental, physical & spiritual]. I had been seeing a therapist [1994] on a regular basis, up until this point in time. I actually thought I would be locked away – but the hospital staff was very supportive [I had no control over my process].
Dear Amber,
I was released from hospital 16th September 2004, but my fear, pain & shame had only subsided a little. I remember this particular morning waking up [home] & my process would start up again [fear, pain, & shame]. No one could help me, not even my therapist [I was terrified]. I asked Jesus Christ to have mercy on me & forgive me my sins.

Slowly, all my fear has dissipated & I believe Jesus delivered me from my “psychological prison.” I am a practicing Catholic & the Holy Spirit is my friend & strength; every day since then has been a joy & blessing. I deserve to go to hell for the life I have led, but Jesus through His sacrifice on the cross, delivered me from my inequities. John 3: 8, John 15: 26, are verses I can relate to, organically. He’s a real person who is with me all the time. I have so much joy & peace in my life, today, after a childhood spent in orphanages.

God LOVES me so much. Fear, pain, & shame, are no longer my constant companions. I just wanted to share my experience with you [Luke 8: 16 – 17]. I was saved, I am saved, and I am being saved. Yes, but only God knows who they are.

I, MICKY, AM A GIFT TO ALL PEOPLE

Kansas Bob said...

After watching "Dances With Wolves" my view of Westward Expansion has never been the same.. I am sad when I think of what our ancestors did to Native Americans.

Thanks for posting about Wounded Knee.. we need to be regularly reminded of our history so that we can learn from it and not repeat it.

David Cho said...

Amber, Brian and Jazz

Happy New Year! Oh Taser too.

This is indeed very sad, and thank you for bringing this up. I didn't learn about this in my high school history class (even though it was a "honors" class), and it wasn't until I took a college course in Indian history.