About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Saturday, December 01, 2007

I Don't Normally Do This, But ...

I am going to recommend, dare I say it, Christian music. Yeah, that's right, me, the person who rarely listens to Christian music, am going to recommend a Christian Christmas concert.



Last Thursday evening Brian and I went to the Christmas Promise concert with Newsong and Todd Agnew. It was beautiful. Did I like everything about it. No, but I did enjoy the music. Their voices are truly amazing. If this event comes to your area, I would say it's worth your time to go.




You can read about it here.




And see a clip of Todd Agnew here. I especially liked his portion of the concert. He has a Christmas CD out. Each song on the CD is from a different point of view of each of the characters in the Christmas story. Interesting.


Now a lot of you are wondering why I don't normally listen to Christian music. Well, working in Christian retail kinda opened my eyes to some of the seedier aspects of "Christian" business. Whether it's retail, or the music business, or "Christian" publishers, there's just a lot that rubbed me wrong. I have difficulty seeing how a ministry can be a business. It seems they start out with the right motive but get caught up into the business end of it. I kinda wish they would get on one side or the other. I'm not saying it's wrong, just that I have trouble stomaching it.


That's one reason, the other is that I dislike the isolation that having a nice little "Christian" world brings. I thought we were supposed to be in the world, not of it. Seems to me the more isolated we are from the world, the less we do that.


But that's just me. I do listen to Todd Agnew because he seems more down to earth than a lot of Christian music artists. There's something about him that reminds me of Rich Mullins.




3 comments:

[rhymes with kerouac] said...

I'm with ya on both counts. I was in a Christian bookstore here in town this morning. I looked at a $135.00 bible and then put it - very carefully - back in its box. There wasn't a single bible in the store that our guests at the Mission could afford and the the least expensive ones were so poorly made they wouldn't last long in a backpack or coat pocket. To be fair, the bookstore's target market is hardly homeless folks, but that's another story.

And the Christian music? I haven't bought one of those cd's in years. I just can't do it anymore. I'd like to find an artist or group that restores my hope for 'Christian music', but... so far, no luck.

Mike said...

Amber, I'm with you on the Jesus Junk and the music. I haven't been able to preset a "Christian" radio station for years!

Peace,
Mike

hennhouse said...

What a great perspective. I'm not a fan of music whose artists (producers?) define it for a specific audience. But, I am a fan of music that moves my soul.