About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Thursday, December 20, 2007

I'm Not Sure What This Means


This has been passed around of several bulletins from Native Americans on MySpace for the past week or so. Now Fox News is reporting on it. I'm not sure what this means or what the consequences or benefits will be but the Lakota Sioux have withdrawn from all U.S. treaties and declared themselves a sovereign nation which will be issuing their own passports and driver's license. Residents will be able to live there tax-free if they renounce their U.S. citizenship.




I'm not sure how that will change or what it will change, if anything. It seems to me these treaties were only kept in the ways which befitted the U.S. And I was always under the impression that the reservations were already sovereign nations, hence the name "The Great Sioux Nation". They already have their own government, police, etc. And no state police are allowed on the reservation without permission. The FBI are allowed onto the reservation but we all know how that went back in the 70's.
I've asked around to see what benefits and/or consequences this will have for the Lakota people and no one seems to really know. I hope it helps in some way and doens't hurt. I think it may have the potential to do both.

2 comments:

Barbara (aka Layla) said...

Interesting. I don't understand either. I hope someone can shed some light on this.

David Cho said...

This has come up before and I don't know of a better explanation than this short Youtube clip