About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Saturday, February 23, 2008

In Memory

In the early 90's I was able to go to Romania and help to work alongside Peter Dugusescu. He had a dream of rebuilding Romania and had a special place in his heart for the many street children left behind by the cruel communist regime. Our job was to refurbish an old building so that it could be used to house and feed the homeless children on Timesora.

Peter was an amazing man. Working with him was an honor and a blessing. Its the only time I've ever been "star struck". Peter's story can be read about in Chuck Colson's book "The Body". I just received word this morning that Peter went to be with the Lord in January. I am happy for him but sad to hear of his passing. Romania lost a great man.

I will always remember his tremendous "presence" when he was in the room and feeling like I was working with someone like one of the apostles. I will remember his stories of persecution under the communist government. And I will remember his key role in Romania's revolution and how he went from being a pastor of an underground church to being a member of Romania's Parliament. Below is a video I made some time back. I chose the song because it reminds me of Peter. The pictures are not good. They are old and grainy but even that lends itself to the feeling of Romania back then. It seemed everything was gray and gritty. I hope they are doing far better these days. Peter is the roundish man with a head full of dark curly hair. And I look forward to seeing Peter again one day.

Read about his passing here as well as about the home we worked on for the street children.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i enjoyed reading your postings. Very informative and touching.

~frances

“Visit http://www.foodfororphans.org

Kansas Bob said...

What a beautiful song and pictures Amber.. you did a great job.. felt like I was there with you. After reading and watching.. I too look forward to seeing Peter one day.