About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Monday, March 17, 2008

Being in My 40's is ... Different


What a difference a day makes.


Yesterday I was hit on by a 25 year old.


Today I went to Wal-Mart and as soon as I entered the store the greeter said, "If you have grandchildren we have some really good buys on Easter candy for their baskets".


OK, now I am old enough to have grandchildren, and in fact, I want grandchildren, but I don't want to look old enough for people to assume I have them.


Brian gets that kind of thing too. One of my son's friends, a 17 year-old girl, works out at the same gym Brian goes to and told our son that Brian was "hot". Then she added the, "for an old guy" part. Nothing like building you up before letting you down, eh?


I can't make sense of it. Apparently I'm young enough to be hit on my much younger guys, be scolded by my kids for playing rock music too loud, and have friends who were born the year I graduated from high school, but I'm also obviously looking "old".


Oh the joys of middle-age.

4 comments:

Barbara - Layla said...

I saw a recent picture of you and you look GREAT. It doesn't surprise me one bit that you were hit on by a young guy - although that is pretty darn young, 25!!

As for looking like a grandma, I don't mean this as a negative, but most Walmart greeters are usually old or somehow "impaired" so they probably say that to all females over the age of 18.

And...Brian IS hot! You two make quite the stunning couple :)

Michelle said...

you were pulling out of church the other day in your jeep and I commented on how "young at heart" you are...far from old and you look GREAT!!!

hennhouse said...

Hysterical--especially the rock music part!

Amber said...

Oh yeah, my son is always telling me to turn my music down. What he doesn't know is that the volume is not longer a matter of taste - its a matter of necessity. ;)