About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Friday, April 18, 2008

Do Any of These Women Look Old to You?

Madonna - born 1958


Supermodel Iman - born 1955

Brooke Shields - born 1965


Helen Hunt - born 1963

Julianne Moore - born 1960


Marcia Cross - born 1962

Courtney Cox Arquette - born 1964


Me - born 1961



OK, it may not be the wisest idea to post a pic of myself alongside those ladies, but my point is that we are all about the same age. So, would you call any of us old? I think not.


Why is this an issue. Well, recently I've had a few "age-related" conversations. One with with a young man in our church who in all honesty meant it as a compliment when we had the following conversation (or something close to it - I can't remember entirely because they say memory is the first to go).


He: "you're really an inspiration to us younger people"


Me: "are you saying that I'm old? Is that what you're saying?"


He: "oh no, no. I'm just saying that you're old than me."


Now he should have stopped right there but he went on to explain....


"You should be proud of your age. With age comes wisdom."


Me: "There ya are with the age thing again."


Poor guy. He's not going to live this down anytime soon. ;)


Then I was asked to speak at a conference for the young adults at church ... and the topic I'm supposed to share my testimony on - "Live a Legacy, Leave a Legacy".


Yeah, that's right. Does that not sound like something an old person would speak on?? My feeling is that I've just now begun to live my life and am no where near old enough to talk about leaving a legacy. But I'm going to give it a shot. Have no idea where I'll go with it but I'll shoot for it.


My friends are quick to point out that we are aging. Well, maybe they are. I don't feel a day over 20. OK, well maybe we'd better make that 30.


Thankfully restaurants don't believe I'm old yet. I was recently carded trying to get into an Irish pub for dinner and last night Brian and I went out to eat where I was told I would not be able to order what I really wanted off the menu unless I was a senior citizen and the waitress was sure they would not believe I was. Thank God for small gestures that boost my ego. Then we went to see the Stones movie. Now those guys are old. I know, I know, the fact that I listen to the Stones probably dates me. Middle age is so ... troubling.

2 comments:

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

If it weren't for a few crows feet 00ps - I mean LAUGH LINES - around my eyes, I could pass for 30 easy. But....they are there and not going away :(

These women look hot but they are in full on professionally done make-up and LIGHTING is everything you know. YOU on the other hand look that good on a daily basis in your day to day life!

Michelle said...

tonight at dinner Lyss asked us if we were 50