About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Sometimes It Amazes Me

I see this fairly often but it always amazes me each time I do.

We have some people on the mission team that are just "getting it" when it comes to service and putting others ahead of themselves. I'd be willing to bet that most of the team fall into that category but I've recently become aware of a few that are going above and beyond anything that is asked of them and I want to tell you about a few of them - there are probably, very likely, others that are doing similar things that I'm just not aware of.

One lady is going through a particularly difficult time. When we were in Ireland we found out that her husband has several malignant tumors. His situation is very serious. One of the tumors is on his spine and is eating away at bone structure of his spine. Another is entangled with some major arteries and docs here are reluctant to operate because they fear if they do, we will lose his leg. He is now at Mayo Clinic to get their opinion and hopefully they will have some solutions for them. After getting the news about her husband, this team member had a heart attack and was in ICU for a while. She is younger than I am otherwise in good health so it sounded impossible that she would have a heart attack, but she did. Talk about a bad time. Talk about a reason NOT to go on a mission trip. But ya know what? One of her big fears after getting all this news was that she wouldn't' be able to go to PR. She's still planning on going .... as long as she is able.

Then there is this other guy. He is worried that he isn't up to snuff spiritually. He's doubting himself but has a great love for the kids and a passion to reach out to them. I have always asked my team to pray daily for the trips and I've challenged them to fast for at least a day because I believe fasting gets us more in tune with what God might have in mind for this trip. This morning one of our men emailed me asking me to pray for him because he's going to try to fast, not for a day, but for a week. A week?? Wow... I don't even know what to say about that but I am amazed at how deeply people care about the Lakota people and how deep their desire is to take these matters seriously. I'd say this guy "gets it" and I just wonder what God is going to do in his life - not because of his fasting but because of his willingness to put self aside.... I kind of can't wait to see it.

There are two other ladies too, who seem to fly under the radar. But they are always there, faithfully doing whatever it is they are supposed to be doing. They have continually gone out of their way to serve and they never seek any attention for it. They just serve. They have arranged on their own to get donations of stuff for the people on the Rez. And they have silently served other team members by taking care of some things for them. They obviously "get it" that its not about them. They are quiet and I don't know if anyone else notices what they do but they are faithful and they have servant's hearts, and I am amazed at them over and over again.

Now I know that they will all be blessed in ways we may never know. I know that they do what they do because they love God and they've discovered the joy that serving Him brings. But I still stand in amazement of the beauty of the body of Christ. It is an awesome thing to see.

No comments: