About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Monday, June 09, 2008

I'm One Sick Puppy, But It Could Be Worse

I was talking to a friend yesterday who has been trying to get me to go to a concert with him and his wife for a while now. I've heard of the group but strangely enough as much as I like music, I'm not a big concert person. I told him I would go to see U2 and that if Rich Mullins were still alive I'd go see him but that I'm really just not that into concerts.

Now my friend is very into music and gadgets and is one of the rare people who would actually pay any attention to my iLike widget so he pointed out that according to my recent songs on iLike that I do listen to music other than U2. Its true. I do. I actually listen to Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner, Coldplay, The Fray, Bob Dylan, and even Johnny Cash and AC/DC (don't tell anyone about that last one) among others. But I usually listen to U2.

I know. I'm narrow in my music listening. But ya know what? I'm quite happy in my little U2 world. They feed my soul, and I like their music and I really like that Bono is into humanitarian stuff to the extent that he is. And for anyone wondering, I like Edge as much as I like Bono. He's doing some pretty good stuff too with Music Rising. Besides, I've been listening to them since the 80's and they just seem like part of the family after that many years.

I really shouldn't admit this on the world wide web, but ya know just how sad I am .... on the U2 iLike web page they rank listeners according to the number of times they listen to a U2 song and out of 2,362,570 fans .... I'm #4. It gives me some measure of comfort that there are three other people in the world who are sicker than I am. Not a lot of comfort, mind you, but a little.

4 comments:

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

I thought you were going to say you were going to a "Sick Puppies" concert!! Despite the horrible name, they are a good band!

I totally understand the U2 thing but you have me beat for sure! Good for you for being #4 ! WOW

hallga77 said...

OK Amber,

A quote from a friend of mine's wife comes to mind: " I don't want to hear anything I haven't heard before."

Glad I could be an inspiration for a blog entry.

I wonder if Bono listens to something besides U2.


Tim

Amber said...

Tim, thought you would get a kick out of this. And I'm pretty sure Bono listens to stuff other than U2. I'm listening to a lot of BUoS today ... they may be my new favorite band. ;)

hallga77 said...

I still don't understand how you could not want to check out onetime label mates of U2 that were once introduced at Cstone Fest by the frontman of Dead Artist Syndrome in this way: " They may rock like hell but they're the houseband of heaven -Ladies & Gentleman -The 77s!"