About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Friday, July 18, 2008

Banking on a Fortune Cookie

Life's been crazy lately. I've put in 12 - 14 hour days and at the end of the day, everything on my
"to do" list, still isn't done.

In the next month I have two major events - a mission trip with a crew of 20, and then, right on the heels of that is Rezonate '08.

So much to do and not nearly enough time to do it in. Add to that, Brian has had his own craziness in getting ready for his trip to Haiti.

My house is a mess and all those flowers that I so lovingly planted this Spring ... well, I assume there still there. I've not been out to check on them in a while. Good thing they're all drought tolerant.

I'm not complaining mind you. I don't mind hard work as long as it's worth it. Rezonate has indeed been hard work and there is an entire team of very hard-working, very giving people who can attest to that. I can't even begin to list all the sacrifices made by these folks. They have dealt with rude people, judgmental people who question the "rightness" of what we're attempting, band drama, long grueling meetings, and have missed out on time with family to see this happen because they believe that Jesus would want us to be a light in a dark world. And there is more hard work ahead. We're looking at a horrendously hard weekend the weekend of the concert. Maybe we'll all get to sleep again when its finally over.

Sometimes I wonder if it will be worth it. I'm tempted to think that the measure of "success" will be how many people attend. But I know better. Regardless of how many people attend the event, it will be good. It already has been. Its been good just to see God at work. Its amazing what can happen when you let God run wild. He's crazy like that. Insane things happen when you set out to try to follow Jesus. Things no one could plan. Things no one would even think to plan. Things that still boggle my mind to think about. I'm not sure of much with this event but I am absolutely certain of one thing - this event is a God thing. There is no other way to explain it.

There has been mission trip craziness too. We have an entirely different team than we did a month ago. We've yet to have meeting with every person going in attendance. I've reworked and reworked the schedule and plans. Things have changed faster than I can think of what to do about them. That's a good thing too. It means I'm not in control, that I have no idea what's going on but its clear to me that God knows exactly what is going on - that He's reworking plans according to His will, which is what we all want anyway.

And then there's daily life craziness. As if I didn't have 500 other things to think about and do this week, my son bought a car. He's going to be driving to Dayton to school every day and his truck gets such bad gas mileage that he simply can't afford the gas to go to school. He bought a Honda Civic to take care of that problem. And he sold his truck. Today. As soon as it went on the market, it sold. And that creates a lot of other problems. He was at work and called home just as I was getting out of the shower to tell me that someone was at the house to look at the truck and could I go out and give them the key. Sure, just as soon as I get some clothes on. It was suggested that I just slip it through the door. Wow, am I not allowed to get dressed now?? They bought it. Only problem is - I don't know where the title is. I thought it was probably in the safe deposit box at the bank but wanted to check with Brain to be sure. I called the hotel in Miami only to hear they don't have him registered. Neither do they have the trip leader registered ... or the group registered either for that matter. As I'm trying to sort through this mess both of my phones kept ringing. Turns out the title is in the safe deposit box at the bank. And the bank is closed until Monday. Thank goodness. At least I don't have to drop what I'm doing and deal with that today.

About that fortune cookie ... sometimes funny things happen. Last night Brian and I went out for Chinese food for his last meal at home. My fortune cookie read, "You emerge victorious from the maze you've been traveling in". Does God speak through fortune cookies? I don't know. Sometimes I think He just might. And sometimes I think He just has a sick sense of humor - which is actually one of the things I like about Him.

2 comments:

hallga77 said...

Amber,

I can't speak for the others but I just want to be a part of the glamourous Rock n Roll lifestyle - you know "stoking the starmaker machinery behind the popular song".

Oh, and did I mention I want union scale and OT for anything over 8 hours.

Peace,

Tim

Kansas Bob said...

Not sure that anyone has said thanks to you and Brian lately.. thanks for your hearts of service to Jesus and his body.. you both shine for Him.

Happy Sunday, Bob