About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Thursday, December 04, 2008

The Dogs

David asked if Gunner was the new favorite dog in the Buriff family. He may be the most photographed now because he's "new" but each of our dogs have their own unique place in the family. Let me explain ...


Taser is the German Shepherd and despite being a breed of dog that is sometimes thought of as aggressive, Taser is a real sissy. She's such a girly girl. She's beautiful, sweet, and afraid of her own shadow. Don't ever sneeze in her presence because that wills end her running for the safety of her crate. So much for a watch dog.


Gunner is the mutt that showed up, moved in, and then took over our home. He's a funny dog. Funny looking too. He sort of looks like someone took the pieces of several dog puzzles and put them together. I have no idea what kind of dogs got together to make him, but he's strange looking. His back legs are way too long for the rest of him. His ears stick out like the flying nun. And his private parts are ... well .... huge. He acts funny too. I'm pretty sure he's double jointed because his limbs can get into some of the strangest positions. He loves to play and aggravate but is also our biggest snuggler. He will fall asleep in your arms and snore loudly.

Jasmine (a.k.a. Jazz) is the old lady. I'm afraid Jazz isn't going to be with us much longer. She's old. Really old. I think she's around 16 years old and is sadly decrepit. She has trouble getting around, her eyes are nasty and she's losing weight rapidly. She's not really very social but has been getting lots of special treatment in her old age - she gets to stay in doors all day, eats Cheerios with milk for breakfast and peanut butter sandwiches for lunch and dinner.

2 comments:

David Cho said...

Gunner is too cute. Mutts are the best. They tend to have the best of the traits from the breeds in the mix. Noah was an example of that :).

I have never known German Shepherds to be aggressive. Courageous maybe.

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

All three of your dogs are sweet. Sounds like Jasmine is ready for dog heaven! 16 is really up there.

Gunner is a doll but Taser is my fave :)