- My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
And, there is more exciting news on the horizion. I can't share yet, but some really cool things are in the works. Let's just say that some of our team members (far and near) ROCK! :)
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Joe playing the bass guitar that he designed and donated to Backpacks for Pine Ridge.
We raffled it off after he played it. I really wanted that guitar but the right person won it.
Sunday, August 17, 2008
Attendance was not all we had hoped for but not to shabby for a first year event. A lady that does an event that draws 17,000 people stopped by, told us we were doing an excellent job and that her event was much the same. She told us that it takes 3 years for people to recognize the event and for word to get out about it. The bands, the radio personalities, and the events director for the city all told us it was a very nicely done event and that we did a professional job. Not too bad for a bunch of people who had no idea what we were doing.
Even though the event was a fundraiser it has never been only about money or numbers. It was about the body of Christ being a light in the community and I have to say - it was that. God was glorified and in a way that was not manufactured by a church program - it happened spontaneously and it was a beautiful thing. Much of what happened I cannot talk about because I don't want to intrude on people's privacy, but it was GOOD. Very good.
OH and it was FUN too. 8 Lives Spent called me and Brian up on stage to sing backup on Neil Young's "Rockin' in the Free World". I didn't want to go alone so I called our Pine Ridge team up with me. It was a riot. Never in my life would I have guessed I'd see Brian rocking out on stage with a rock band. What a dork. Oh well, we were all dorks which was what made it fun.
I'll put together some pics and post them soon.
As for Rezonate '09 ..... It's gonna happen! All of the big acts said they'd be back next year if we did it again as did the dj and most of the vendors. So it looks like we'll keep on rockin in the free world.
Thursday, August 14, 2008
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Monday, August 11, 2008
*sigh* Yeah, I just don't even know what to say.
Here is why....
This year an eight year old little boy made the comment to one of our crew that "No body loves me... nobody.... and there is no place in this whole world that is safe". That's a tough thing for an eight year old to come to believe.
So if we can give the kids a safe place to play and be a kid ... a place where they can know that they are loved by us .... and if we can let them know that God loves them more than life itself, then the way I see it, that's about the most important thing we can do.
Work projects come and go and there will alwasy be work to do there, but the kids are only young for a short time. Our chance to touch their lives is very limited, so they always take priority.
BTW, I love these pics of our crew with the kids. You can really see the love, can't you.
Just some things the kids said that I happened to hear or hear about....
(We always rent a Ryder truck to haul our supplies and the backpacks are also in it. We give out the backpacks from the back of the Ryder so the kids have come to associate it with backpacks.)
Kid: "I can read so I know what that truck says."
Staff: "You do??"
Kid: "Yeah, it says Backpacks."
Staff: "Be sure to come back on Friday because we have a surprise for you."
Kid: "Ya know, the backpacks really aren't that big of a surprise when the truck is sitting right there."
One little girl who never talks when she is there was not able to be there on Friday when backpacks were being given out because she had to go somewhere with her mother. Her mother called to see if we could put one back for her. In the background this normally quiet little girl was heard screaming at the top of her lungs, "I AM NOT GOING WITH YOU... .IT'S BACKPACK DAY!!!"
After a lesson about God's overflowing love a little boy who was there for the first time approached one of our crew and asked, "Will you pray with me and tell me more about how much God loves me?"
That was completely random while they were playing on the playground.
Friday, August 08, 2008
Please pray for me to get over this. Soon. Really soon. Really, really, soon.
If I have already contacted you to set up your time to work and your duties at the concert, then disregard this email.I made a round of phone calls to all of you last night. Some of you were at church when I called.
I need to hear from you NO LATER than Saturday night if you have NOT signed up for a time to work at REZonate '08.
Here are the times available:
- Fri. 6pm-10pm - Setting up tents, tables, chairs and possibly the stage. NEED MANY MORE FOR THIS!
- Sat. 7am-10am - Helpers to set up sound equipment and do last minute jobs like putting water in coolers with ice... etc.
- Sat. 10am-2pm; 2pm-6pm and 6pm-10pm - 4 hour shifts - Parking lot attendants, booth workers, Trash/Clean-up Crew, Volunteer attendants (to help pass out water/food etc.), band security and band assistance and more... Please CALL me to sign up for one of these jobs as some are filled up.
- Sat. night 10pm - ??? WE NEED MANY MORE who are willing to stick around after the concert to help us take all the equipment down and get it back to where it goes. People with pick-up trucks, we need you.
- Sun. 1pm - we may need people with pick-up trucks to take tables, chairs and tents back where they belong depending on the hour in which we get it loaded up on Sat. night. If its super late, we may store it at VOA and take it back on Sun. ???
PLEASE, Please call me or email me to let me know when you can work!
Thursday, August 07, 2008
Wednesday, August 06, 2008
But life goes on and I've got plenty to do with Rezonate coming up in a week and a half. Lots to do and I don't really feel like doing any of it. And there's the daily stuff to deal with ... like today my monitor died ... right when I have a ton of work to do. And I think I'm getting sick too. Not good timing. In two weeks I can get sick, but not before.
I may write more about this later. Right now I'm tired and I think a good night's sleep is in order.