About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Arrrggghhhhh....

Sometimes I wonder why there are people who will question everything you attempt to do. Why there are people who will make assumptions about you when they don't even know you ... have never met you .... or have never taken time to find out what you're really all about. But it happens. Its just a fact that I need to accept. And I do accept it, but it still frustrates me sometimes. Some examples ....

When some Native Americans assume that I am trying to save them (the great white hope) ... that I pity them and think I'm going to ride in on my white horse and save the day.

When some Native Americans assume that because I follow Christ that I'm like every other "Christian" they have met or heard about.

Basically they make assumptions about me because I'm white and a Christian.

I guess that's fair ... a lot of harm has been done by white Christians but I get tired of it being assumed that I'm like all the others when in fact I'm just as horrified as they are about what has been done. I do wish they would at least get to know me before jumping in with assumptions.

And then sometimes I sit and talk to white businessmen or I apply for grants and have to explain why what we're doing is a good thing. I know, I know, they have to make sure their dollars are not going to be misused, but for crying out loud, I'm simply giving school supplies to kids who live in poverty. Its not like they're going to misuse them. Its unlikely that some drug addict is going to sell a pack of crayons for drug money. I suppose that is possible, but I highly doubt it.

OK, as I said, I do get it. I accept that this is just the way the world works. but it seems so unnecessarily exhausting. Its just part of living in a world where evil exists. Its Thursday morning and I've already ran into both of these situations this week. Who knew giving kids school supplies could be so controversial.

As I've always said, some people will curse you and some will bless you regardless of what you do. I try not to pay attention to either. So I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm supposed to do and leave everybody to their own opinion.

1 comment:

Kansas Bob said...

Did you ever think about you are changing the perception of future generations about what it means to be white and Christian?