About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Day I Hoped Would Never Come

We made the decision to put Jazz down today. We were all set to do it on Monday but, then, she started acting OK and there was the little bit of doubt that it was time. She is 17 years old, skin and bones despite a hearty appetite and can barely get around on her own anymore. I think she's generally pretty miserable. The other night in the middle of the night she had to go out to go to the bathroom. It was sleeting and there was several inches of snow on the ground. She fell and couldn't get up. I had to go out and pick her up and carry her in. I know this is for the best, but I hate it. Years ago we had to put another dog down and I decided then I never ever wanted to do that again. I had really hoped she would just die peacefully hear at home but I suppose that's being selfish. Jazz was a good dog. She was the dog my kids grew up with. She was obedient and sweet and never did much of anything wrong except to beg for food. Ironically, that was her last act this morning. I know its best but it feels so awful.

3 comments:

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

I am so very sorry to hear this news and dare I say I know how it feels...I still ache for my Scooter and that was way back in 1989, (11/29 to be exact).

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you today. You gave her such a wonderful life, she was blessed to have you as you were to have her.

Michelle said...

I heard "The Nanny" Fran Whats Her Name (you know the funny voice lady)on a talk show the other day say that when she lost her dog she did a lot of soul searching about why God made us to live such long lives and our Best Friends AKA dogs to have such short lives and I loved her reason, she said it's a reminder to us that we can love again after a heart ache, that no matter how bad our hearts ache we know we can love another puppy whether it's one we already have or one we get later on. I liked that! I have thought about you all day!

Gary Means said...

I'm sorry to hear this. Especially with Jazz being the dog your kids grew up with.