About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Friday, March 27, 2009

It Takes an Individual to Raise a Villiage

I've spent a good part of the morning organizing the "backpack" room and unpacking packages of pens and pencils. I counted as I went and I can tell you a couple of things.

  1. We have more than enough ... the final count of pencils is 1,480 and the final count of pens is 1,532! These were either donated by people giving us packs of pens or pencils, or money was donated to purchase them.
  2. People who are responsible for designing packaging should really be required to have to unwrap it before their design is decided upon. PaperMate does a fine job by the way. Actually I think they do the best job of packaging pens and pencils. And in case you're wondering what 1,480 pencils and 1,532 pens looks like .....



I can also tell you that none of this would happen if not for individual people who are moved on some level to donate. We do not have big corporate sponsors who donate cases of this stuff. I've looked into that but there are two problems with that:
  1. Big corporations already have their projects and charities that they give to and are not generally open to adding more. At least that has been my experience. We do have businesses who sponsor REZonate which helps to raise money to purchase school supplies for the kids on the Rez, but we get no big donations of materials from anywhere. All of this comes from people like you and me who give anywhere from $5 to $1000 for us to buy the stuff, pack it, haul it out and distribute it. And I'm thinking that's a good thing.
  2. Its a good thing because more people get to discover the joy of giving. If some big corporation donated it they would likely be doing it for a tax write off (nothing wrong with that) and would not get the joy that comes from hands-on giving. When a little old lady walks up to me at church and hands me a bag of pencils or a 3 pack of notebooks, she knows she's helping change lives of kids on the Reservation. When a 6 year old little girl saves up her pennies and brings me her piggy-bank, she's learning a valuable lesson in giving to others.

And so, I kinda prefer doing it the hard way. Not that I would refuse a corporate donation - I most certainly would NOT because then even more kids could be helped, but it is kinda cool to see lots and lots of people getting into it. There's a famous quote that you've probably heard that says "it takes a village to raise a child", that may be true but it also takes individuals to raise a village.

Now its back to work ... I've got a dozen or more individuals coming over next week to fill the backpacks and pack them in boxes. Better go get ready.





They actually were bleeding after unwrapping all those pens and pencils. Everybody say "aawwwww".

And Gunner is getting into the spirit of REZonate and the Bike Run that we HOPE to do.




No comments: