About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Scattered Thoughts

Laminate flooring. Just a bit of advice here about laminate flooring. DON'T BUY IT! Its horrible. After a while it gets a really ugly cloudy/streaky mess on it and seems to have some sort of residue on it that will not come off unless you scrub hard for a long, long time. With my bad knees, that isn't going to happen. Especially when the next day it will be back to looking awful again. I wish he had put in hardwood floors.


I'm a bit late in posting this, but I did pick up the new U2 cd No Line on the Horizon. I love it. It took me a few listens to really get into it, but now I'm as crazy about it as all of their past albums. The bad news is - they announced their tour dates and they will not be anywhere near Cincy unless they announce more dates later. That is more than a little disappointing because I've never been to a U2 concert and was planning on making this one. The closest city is Chicago which is not all that close - and Brian has a wedding on that day. :/




I went shopping the other day. I ended up buying one of those short tops/jackets that make me wonder what the fashion designers were thinking. I mean really, do these really flatter anybody? OK, maybe if you're a size 1 they might work, but most of us are not a size 1 so we just end up looking short and squat in them. On the positive side, they are full and you can hide a lot in them, but the short length just cuts you in two at the WRONG place. Isn't the idea to appear longer and leaner? I always thought you wanted to dress in a way that elongates your body. These just make you look ... short and squat. .



There was something I noticed on Myspace the other day... you can put your friends into categories. Actually, I've used that feature on the Backpacks myspace because it makes it easier to find bands, businesses, etc. But I was recently put into a category of a "Church friend", which made me start wondering what the difference is between a "church friend" and a friend? I would really like to think that I was just a regular friend ... somehow saying "church friend" just implies something that doesn't seem right to me in some way. Maybe it just that I dislike having lines drawn between the church and the rest of the world. Not that I'm saying that there shouldn't be a difference in how we behave (even though there is often not much of a difference at all), its just that I have a strong aversion to the way a lot of Church try to separate themselves into holy huddles that only make them ineffective.


While I'm talking about such things, let me just say that I really don't like being introduced to someone as a "Pastor's wife". What the heck is a pastor's wife anyway? I'm just someone who happens to be married to a pastor but that is not my identity. Never mind that it brings to mind a picture that is SO NOT ME. Introducing me as a pastor's wife just makes it that much harder to ever really connect with the person you're introducing me too - because now they have an image of someone else stuck in their head and it takes a lot to get past that. I MUCH prefer to be introduced as your friend. Unless I'm not your friend ... and sometimes I wonder if I really have any friends or if I really am just "the pastor's wife". So you wont find me wearing this t-shirt. I'll either be wearing a U2 t-shirt or my new short and squat jacket.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh My! You have me laughing so hard I am snorting! I am guilty of calling you "the pastor's wife" I do the same thing to Tammy Brown, HOWEVER I do it as a positive, remember I tell people you wear jeans to convince them to come to church with me, you are my friend...when are we doing coffee? I agree about this jackets, I buy them but they look awful...

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

I can't believe there's not a concert near you. What are we going to do about this?????

Had you heard that they will be coming out with something in 2010 and doing another tour - something small scale.

I am not thrilled about having to see them at The Rose Bowl, its a horrible place to get to, but you do what ya gotta do.

I think you'd look great in one of those jackets!

hallga77 said...

Amber,

Years ago, I may have thought of you as "Pastor's Wife" but then I got to know you. You are quite definitely not who I thought you (or Brian)were back then. You probably never were.


Maybe we could just shorten it to PW kind of like PK. That would make me a DAH and Deb an EW. Brian would be a FLH or an SSTD.

Have you checked out "The Church Lady" yet?

Tim

Amber said...

Michelle - I'm good for coffee anytime of the day any day of the week. I'm a total coffee addict. Just give me a call - or email. :)

Barbara - I am really hoping they add some more cities. I did hear about another album in 2010. Something about the Psalms I think? Nikki Sixx is in Cincy this summer but I don't think I'm up to a MC concert. I'd see Sixx A.M. but the Crue are a bit much for me. I do listen to their music but their concert would scare me. :)

Tim - I've not checked out the "Church Lady". I'm waiting for your impersonation of her at the church "talent" show. :)