About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Saturday, May 02, 2009

When Statistics Aren't Boring

I've done a few presentations about the Rez lately. Presentations that attempt to show what life is like on the Rez. That usually includes a lot of statistics, which can be pretty boring. But when you know people who are reflected in the statistics its anything but boring. Its downright heartbreaking.

Yesterday I spoke with the missionary in the village we visit each year. There was lots of bad news. One of our girls who is all of 14 years old has recently attempted suicide 3 times. I would have never pegged her as one who would make an attempt. She seemed well adjusted. She's been trying to teach me Lakota with limited success and trying even harder to teach me how to dance a Lakota dance which is even more ... challenging. I just look at her and say, "Are you sure you're not Irish??" A few years ago when we went to the local PowWow and they made us dance in the middle of the PowWow ring, she came out with us to try to help. I will never forget her arms wrapping around my waist and her saying, "You're supposed to be having fun". Well I might have been if I hadn't been dying of humiliation. :)

Then there was news of a young father we have met. He was arrested for his 4th DUI and will likely spend 2-3 years in jail.

And the elderly lady who has been there with her grandchildren every year we've been there. She had triple by-pass surgery, got an awful infection and had to be opened up to let the infection out. She is now in the "hospital", if you can call it that, for 6 weeks.

And one of the little boys that I just adore. Well everyone adores him, he's just ....adorable, has some really bad things going on in his family. He's a stinker. Rarely does what you ask him to but his smile is one you can't resist. He's just so stinkin' cute. I want to bring him home with me. I'd take him back the next year ... or maybe sooner. Or maybe not at all.

No comments: