About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Working From Home

I never really planned on this, but I have a job that I do from home. I don't get paid for this job, in fact, it can cost me. But I love it because I get to do what I love to do and I get to do it at my own pace. For those of you who don't know, I organize and lead short-term mission trips to Pine Ridge Reservation and I direct a non-profit organization (Backpacks For Pine Ridge) and as part of that organizations fund raising, I coordinate a community-wide music fest each year. And yes, that keeps me busy! I work long days from Nov - August and then I have NOTHING to do in Sept and October. Its nice to have the down time though to get caught up on rest and household chores.

Just in case you've ever wondered (can't imagine that anyone has) here is a little of what I do:

  • Plan meetings each month for both the trip and REZonate teams
  • Attend those meetings each month
  • Plan activities and themes for VBS for the kids at Pine Ridge
  • Set up budgets
  • Write devotionals for the crew book
  • Make up schedules for the trip
  • Shop out materials online to see how we can do things in the least expensive way possible
  • Email crew members to remind them of deadlines, meetings.
  • Pack and label stuff for the trip
  • Contact potential sponsors via email, letters, and/or phone calls
  • Contact bands to see if they can perform at REZonate
  • Stay in touch with city leadership to make sure all the i's are dotted and t's crossed so we stay out of trouble
  • Research advertising costs
  • Updates web sites, blogs, and myspace, and facebook pages (and now Twitter too)
  • Go shopping to pick up materials. This can be anything from building materials to school supplies to pop or water for REZonate. (this is really fun when I get cart loads of school supplies and have everyone at Walmart wondering what on earth I'm doing)
  • Print stuff ( I HATE this because I have the worlds WORST printer ) Sometimes Kinkos is cheaper and I'm really grateful when it is.
  • Sometimes speak to groups
  • Sometimes do an interview

Well, that's enough to give you an idea. THANKFULLY I have help - since we are a non-profit fund through The Community Foundation, they handle sending receipts and thank you's to our donors.

All of this requires a LOT of COMMUNICATION with everyone from crew members to bands to sponsors to city leaders to motorcycle associations to people who might attend either the trip or the music fest. Since I realize this is my job and not everyone else's (other people have real jobs) I usually communicate via email so they can respond as they have time. Which means I'm at my desk at lot sending emails or recieveing them or replying to their reply.


Some things I've learned about working at home are:
You have to be self-motivated. You have to be able to ignore the phone for personal calls when you are working (just like you would at a real job).

The Advantages of Working at Home:
The hours - I get to set my own schedule
I get to do what I love
I get to be home
I don't have to dress up - I can work in pj's if I want

The Disadvantages of Working at Home:
I don't get paid so I never have any money (that's a real disadvantage)
It is very isolating

That last one is one I don't like at all. Most people who work, work with other people. They have times throughout the day when they will speak to a co-worker to talk about any given subject. They may go to lunch with a co-worker. When you're at home by yourself for the better part of the day it can be very isolating. So, if you see me on Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, or blogging and wonder what I'm doing there when I'm supposed to be so busy - well, its my way of sticking my head out of my cubicle and saying "Hello? Hello? - is anybody out there??" Even at that, its also part of my job - the networking, communicating, promoting, etc.

OK, well I'm off to Walmart. :)

4 comments:

Gary Means said...

Hello my friend! Thanks for doing what you do!

Gary Means said...

Good photo. You look so young!

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

She does look YOUNG and pretty doesn't she, Gary????

Amber, you know you're one of my heroes because of all you do- BY YOURSELF. Pulling off the Rezonate music festival last year was a HUGE undertaking and look what a success it was! And here you are doing it again. Keep up the great (at home) work.

Amber said...

That's the good thing about cloudy pics - they hide a multitude of sins. :)

I don't do this all by myself. I have a great team of folks who do all the other stuff - like getting the equipment donated, getting the 100 or so volunteers to work the event, setting up and running the sound, planning the bike run, keeping the books in balance, doing exceptional art work at no charge, and then there are the bands who travel a long way at their own expense to play. And of course the city for letting us use one of the most awesome venues for $1. And the businessmen who put up the $$ to pay for it all. This would not happen without all of those folks. But thanks for recognizing that I do put some hours in.