About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Friday, June 12, 2009

Fast For Darfur

I've got to admit, I'm not doing this. With my history with anorexia plus the stress I've been under I'm afraid doing this might be a trigger for me, but I can't express how much I admire those who are willing to make the sacrifice. And I can fast a meal here and there. And I can post here to let others know. Below is a video blog of James Michael, lead singer of Sixx AM. James is doing a 3 day, water only fast to help bring awareness to the conditions in Darfur. Hearing him talk about it reminds me of my days in Haiti and seeing armed guards hold guns on the starving people who came to get a bag of food from us. It was one of the most powerful moments of my life.

You can follow James on Twitter to catch all the updates. But before you do that, check out the web site Darfur Fast for Life and join in, if you dare.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree. While your heart might be in the right place, this may not be the right way for you to be involved. You've had a great five years and I don't want you to feel an urge to relapse.

Please be careful

Deontologist said...

Honestly, you shouldn’t lament the fact that it may be unhealthy for you to fast. Many of these people, especially some of the Darfur advocacy leaders, are only jumping on the Fast for Darfur bandwagon because all the cool celebrities are doing it. There are far better ways for you to help Darfuris that don’t involve publicity stunts like starving yourself. It’s a shame that they’re making people like you feel bad by doing something that doesn’t necessarily help that much anyway.

http://savedarfuraccountabilityproject.wordpress.com/2009/05/20/5-ways-john-prendergast-could-help-darfuris-other-than-fasting/

Amber said...

I'm not sure what I said to indicate that I feel bad about not fasting. I don't feel bad at all. I think it's great what they are doing. Regardless of their motives, at least it is keeping the issue in front of people. I spend a good deal of my time doing things that benefit the poor. Why would I feel bad?

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

I think you are wise to know yourself well enough not to fast. Thanks for pointing this out.