About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Friday, June 12, 2009

I'm Gonna Miss My Travel Buddy

Today was a sad day. I attended the funeral of a dear lady and although I know she's in a far better place where she no longer experiences pain and sickness, I'll miss her.

I first got to know Donna while on the Hurricane Katrina Relief trip that we did just days after the hurricane hit New Orleans. Her and I shared the car trip down and back, following the two trucks that carried the food and supplies we took down to the people of Grand Isle, LA, a small barrier island just south of New Orleans. Somehow the small island survived but with unbelievable damage. It was an exciting trip - only the National Guard, Police, Fire, and us were allowed there. Donna was what made the trip fun for me. She had sense of adventure and fun that made the long road trip seem all too short.

One memory of Donna on the trip was when we were sitting in the car on the side of the road waiting for the two trucks. We were nearly blown away by an 18 wheeler that was going way too fast and way too close to us. Donna and I just looked at each other, eyes wide with unbelief and fear. Then Donna calmly said, "I don't think I want to do that again."

She was not so calm when we arrived in Grand Isle and drove across this bridge.


You really have to click on it to get a clear picture of the extent of damage to the bridge. Donna and I both screamed over the radio at the guys all they way across the bridge.

Looking at the pictures again, it just doesn't seem right that she's gone. I'm going to miss her.













You can see more pictures of Donna on other Katrina Relief trips here.




3 comments:

Gary Means said...

Amber, what a great tribute to your friend. I am sad for your loss. But I am glad that she has been a special part of your life.

BTW, I didn't recognize the brand of beer in the pic under the orange tent.

Amber said...

Anheuser-Busch - water. :) They brought down tons of water for those affected by the hurricane. I'm thinking they may have enjoyed beer more but I guess water is a necessity.

Kansas Bob said...

I agree with Gary.. felt like a bit of a memorial service.. sorry for your loss Amber.