About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Pine County Dirt

Figured that would get the attention of the folks I'm saying this to. First of all, Pine County is where I'm from and Pike County Dirt is my cousin's song about the place, and the "grandma Mary" in the song is my aunt Mary Lou who will have a flippin' fit if she find out I wrote her name on the Internet. But then that's what makes her fun. Jason also has a song about his grandpa, my uncle Shirley, but he's a booger and wont share that with me even though I knew his grandpa before he was so much as a thought. Anyway, his band, Red Eye Max, is pretty good. OK, they're really good - a little bit country with a rock-n-roll edge. You can buy their music on iTunes and I think you should go and do that right now. You can give a listen all about Pine County and the dirt there.

Anyway, on to the point of this post ... Facebook is a wonderful thing. Since I've been home from the Rez I've found or been found by several of the people I went to grade school with in Petersburg, IN. Its been great finding them and seeing what they're up to. Problem is, I'm swamped with stuff to do, and I'm getting swamped with messages from my old friends and well ... I've lost track of who I owe a message to. If you're one of those people you should know 2 things, first, I'm sorry, and second, my life will not be this wacky after August is over. Right now I'm recouping from taking a group of people to the Pine Ridge Reservation where we built an addition on to an elderly lady's home and fed 150 kids every day, and gave out 550 backpacks full of school supplies to the children in 3 villages. So, I'm kinda tired and have lots of paperwork to catch up on. AND I'm also gearing up for REZonate Music Fest and Charity Bike Ride which is our big fundraiser each year and I get the honors of being the coordinator for that. So yeah, life is crazy right now. In fact I'm looking at 56 emails in my inbox right now that need some sort of response.

But I DO want to catch up with y'all as soon as possible. My parents are on their way to Pike County right now. Marv Bird passed away and they'll be back for his funeral. I will always remember Marv as a kind, gentle, easy going man with a big smile who owned the Shell station in Monroe City. I know he'll be missed because he was such a great guy.

Well, its back to work for me.

3 comments:

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

Hi Aunt Mary Lou!!!!


:)

Kansas Bob said...

Hoping Rezonate is a wild success!

Blasé said...

..that's why I won't get involved with 'Facebook'...well, one of the reasons, anyway. I'm doing good just to blog and email with a few.

Goodness! You're a busy woman.