About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

I Don't Want to be a Good Christian

No, seriously. I don't want to be a "good Christian". I mean really, when you think about it, isn't the term "good Christian" and oxymoron? If we were "good" we wouldn't need Christ.


The term itself implies that there are "bad" Christians, which sets up a whole system for focusing on behavior rather than the heart. In fact, I Googled the term "good Christian" and came across this interesting article in WikiHow that lays out no less than 16 steps to become a "good Christian". And then as if 16 steps wouldn't do the trick, they added 6 more "tips". And if that were not enough, there are an additional 12 "warnings" to help steer you in the right direction. Good luck with all that. I found the one "reform yourself" especially interesting. As if anybody could.


Like I said, the whole "good Christian" approach is all about behavior. Now I'm not advocating bad behavior ... I just think its a good idea to remember that we're all sinners saved by grace and our need for grace doesn't end when we accept Christ. To me, it's pretty simply, not easy, but simple: Love God, Love People. Nothing else matters.

Maybe Rich says it better....



I would rather live on the verge of falling and let my security be in
the all-sufficiency of the Grace of God than to live in some kind
of pietistic illusion of moral excellence ~ not that I don't want to be
morally excellent but my faith isn't in that idea that I'm more moral than
anybody else. My faith is in the idea that God and His love are greater than
whatever sins any of us commit. ~ Rich Mullins


* Photo by Nikki Sixx who may or may not be a good Christian but is an amazing photographer who I believe "gets it".

5 comments:

Kansas Bob said...

This is an awesome statement Amber:

"The term itself implies that there are "bad" Christians, which sets up a whole system for focusing on behavior rather than the heart."

Faith is not about performance.

HennHouse said...

I love Bob's comment.

And, "To me, it's pretty simply, not easy, but simple: Love God, Love People. Nothing else matters."

Is so spot on. I wonder if Jesus was a "good Christian." You know, with all he did that was against the "rules."

KrippledWarrior said...

You get it. Praise God almighty. You get it...
Jesus said I don't come for the righteous. I come for the sinners.
Thanks Sister.

Blasé said...

Fyi, my sweet friend..

The term "christian" was made by non-followers of Jesus towards those that were following.

'Believers', 'Saints', 'Brethren/Brothers' were the terms that the "followers" of Jesus used for each other. "Christians" is another term/practice that has been passed down from tradition/man. Like the 'Sign of the Fish' thingy.

No one can really 'identify' a "christian". It is subjective.

Amber said...

I doubt if Jesus was a "good Christian".

Like so many things that go on in churches this is just another example of how tradition is held on to over truth. And no one has called me "sweet" for a long, long time. I like to think I'm still as sweet as ever but apparently I speak my mind too much for folks to think of me as sweet anymore. LOL