About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Monday, September 07, 2009

I May Not Be Able to Stand This

One of our team members and his wife went out to the Rez this weekend to take a load of coats, hats, socks and shoes to the kids on the Reservation. I just got a call from them and the news is not good.

Hammer, everybody's little buddy, is living in a car with his brother Damian. I can't stand it. I really can't. How will they even survive the winter?

And one of the men we have gotten to know has Psoriasis of the liver, lung cancer, and his kidneys are failing.

It seems like every year we get to know someone and the next time we go back they are no longer there. I've read and have been told that the only place in the Western Hemisphere with a lower life expectancy is Haiti. I believe it.

2 comments:

HennHouse said...

What can we do? Is there some way to help?

Every year my son asks his friends who come to his birthday party to--instead of gifts for him-- to bring hats, gloves, and scarves for a local women's shelter. I know it won't be much, but can he do it for the Rez this year?

Is there anything else?

Amber said...

Yes! That would be great. I normally don't take clothes out there but I absolutely will take coats, hats, gloves, etc. Anything to help keep these kids a bit warmer in the winter.