About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

"I'm Going Through a 15th Century Castle in Transylvania ... with a Torch... How Cool is THAT?"

I'll admit, I have no idea how to do this. Heck, I don't even know what a "McLinky" is, but I'm always up to a challenge so today when Michelle tagged me with this Blog Hop idea I said, "Why not?". I can't resist anything that has something to do with pictures.





Ok, so here’s the rules for this hop:Go to the place where you upload all your photos. If you don’t upload them online, just go to wherever you store your pics on your computer. Open the oldest album, and post the first photo. Tell the story behind it. Grab the MckLinky and post it on your blog. Just for fun, tag 3 people you want to see old photos of




I have hundreds of pics stored on my computer ... so many that I didn't even realize I still had these pics on it. This is a picture of my trip to Romania way back in the early 90's. I went there on a mission trip with Roy Hauser, Brian Hitsman, Scott Planck, and Rick Brown. I believe the mission group Project Partner led that group and it was my first and possibly my best mission trip ever. I know it was definitely one of the highlights of my life.


Romania had a lot of orphans and street kids and we went there to work with Jesus the Hope of Romania to refurbish a building that would be used to house some of the street children in Timisoara.



Anyway, without getting into all that, on the last day there we went to sight-seeing. We went up into the Transylvanian Alps for a fantastic chicken dinner and then went on to see this castle. We arrived at the castle and our two Romanian friends stepped off to the side to chat about something. Me and the guys were looking at the castle and wondering how we were going to get over to it. (There was a large, deep pit-like thing around it). We did see an old wood plank bridge going across to it, but it seems to be in very, VERY bad shape. Several of the wood planks were missing and the others seemed to be deteriorating. It didn't look like it would hold the weight of a cat let alone 4 big guys and me. Now I might add that I am afraid of heights and this bridged gaped a very, VERY deep gorge thing. It may have been a mote, I'm not sure. In any case, it was so far down that it would have been impossible to survive a fall. About that time our two Romanian friends came up and said, "Let's go" and began across the bridge. We looked at each other in amazement. The guys all started across but not me. I yelled up ahead and told them I was kind of tired and would just stay behind and rest and wait for them. One of the Romanian guys came back and pleaded with me to come ahead and see the castle. "You must", he pleaded. Being a certified chicken I held my ground, determined to stay OFF the bridge. His pleas of "You must" continued but then took on an entirely different tone of "You MUST". OK, got it. I MUST, as in you have no choice in the matter Amber. So, I went but told my Romanian friend that I was hanging on to him for dear life. And I did.



I am going to tag: Barbara, Gary, and HennHouse



Click here to enter your link and view the entire list of entered links…

Hope I did this right. If not, let me know. :)

6 comments:

Amber said...

BTW, I cheated and cleaned up the pic before posting it. It was in my oldest folder though

Jamie H said...

Thanks for joining the hop!
What an AWESOME picture! It almost doesn't look real!
Glad I could remind you of all the pictures you have on your computer :)

Michelle said...

You know challenging you isn't easy since you challenge yourself so much...glad you enjoyed!

*Jess* said...

That is a gorgeous photograph!

Mama M. said...

What an amazing photo!! Lucky you! Even if you did have to cross a gorge or a moat on a falling apart bride!!

carebear said...

"hopping" over! Love the picture! How beautiful!