About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

There's Nothing Like a Funeral to Make You Feel Alive

If you really want to freak somebody out, walk up to them and ask them if they will speak at your funeral. I've recently updated my funeral plans and can tell you that you get some strange reactions when you ask someone that.

Some years back I began planning my funeral. Not because I thought I was going to die anytime soon, but because I got tired of going to funerals where the people left behind were left to guess at what the deceased would have wanted. I decided to put my wishes in writing so that when my time came, and it will come to all of us, that there wouldn't be any guesswork.

I believe its a good idea to make those plans now, while its easy to do so. If you wait until death is imminent, it is often too difficult for family and friends to want to discuss it. And if you don't do it at all, then family members have to deal with figuring out what you might have wanted. Being married to a pastor, I've seen both of these things happen way more than is necessary.

So I planned out my funeral. And I update it every so often to include my current favorite clothes, music, etc. Just so everyone knows ... its perfectly OK to wear jeans to my funeral. I'll be wearing mine. :) Its also perfectly OK to be honest. I get tired of going to funerals where everyone talks about what a wonderful person the deceased was when everyone there knows good and well they were a pain in the backside. They had their good points too but please .... when its my turn just be honest. There's both good and bad about me and I've tried to live honestly and hope that I will be remembered honestly as well.

So, what about you? Have you planned your funeral yet? You're going to have one someday ya know. May as well have a say in it.


*Post title is from the song Life is Beautiful by Sixx AM.
*Photo taken at Glendalough, Ireland

4 comments:

KrippledWarrior said...

I never expected to be here this long. When my time comes I'll no longer care what goes on in this world so do what you will. But don't feel bad for me.

Blasé said...

Can I sing at your funeral? Afterwards, can I walk over to your casket and give you a kiss, and then yell- "GLORY BE, SHE'S STILL ALIVE!"

Amber said...

KW - I don't expect to be there for mine either and really don't care much what happens but it sure makes it easier for the family to have all of the details figured out.

Blasé - so is it the singing or the kiss that wakes the dead?

KruskopfCoontz said...

You can plan your own funeral on our free site mywonderfullife.com. Our members have said that we actually make it easy and enjoyable....