About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Friday, October 16, 2009

Fat Chance!

I shouldn't even respond to this because its so ludicrous that the only response it deserves is to ignore it, but this touches a real hot button for me and there's been a LOT of this nonsense in the media lately ... so I guess I just have to say something about it.

I thought we were making progress. I thought maybe, just maybe women were starting to get a positive message about embracing who they were and being "real". Dove's Campaign for Real Beauty has done a wonderful job of encouraging women to shake off the crazy-making messages the media has doled out for so long and accept and even celebrate who they are and how they look. I thought maybe the insanity was slowing down a bit.

Until this week.

This week I've heard of three different incidents that send a very damaging message to women
.
1. Jessica Simpson was blasted on Fox Sports for being too "fat". Apparently the writers thought that no man would ever want to be with someone who looked so fat. Oh yeah, right. I'm sure of that. I'm betting the writers were a bunch of idiots who couldn't get a date with someone who looked remotely as good as Jessica. I may not be her biggest fan but listen, the girl is NOT fat. Not by a long shot. What was Fox Sports thinking?? To top it all off, the spot was sponsored by of all places, Burger King.


2. Ralph Lauren fired Filippa Hamilton who has been their model since 2002 because she was "too fat" at 5'10 and 120 pounds. This was after a recent ad was released with an image of her that is so altered that she looks like a freak. I mean really, her head looks HUGE in this pic. Is that supposed to be "pretty"?
3. And then there's the most ludicrous of all. It seems that Barbie (who I hate by the way) is not even immune from accusations of being too fat. According to French shoe designer Christian Louboutin, Barbie's ankles are too fat. Somebody help her quick! We can't have a Barbie doll running around with fat ankles. Maybe she needs plastic surgery. I guess some people will do anything to get their name out there. Did he really expect women to go running out to buy his shoes if Barbie is too fat for them?? Seems like somebody is too stupid for his own good.
Now most of us can read this and know that its SO absurd that we pass it off as just that and pay no more attention to it. But the thing that concerns me is that there are a lot of young girls who are still forming their identity who hear this and are affected on some level by it.
I have done my share of fighting off the insane notion that you have to fit society's standards of "beauty" to be acceptable. I am grateful to be free of it. The scars will be there forever though. I had hoped that one of the benefits of recovery would be that I would get to a place where I could accept the way I look. Not like the way I looked - I knew that was impossible, but I had hoped to be able to accept it. It never happened. What I did accept was that it just wasn't that important. Truth be told, there isn't a day that goes by that it doesn't affect me. But it no longer controls me. This is my life and I alone am responsible for it. I no longer have to starve myself into somebody else's idea of what I should look like. I like my freedom too much to allow somebody else to determine what I do or don't do.

So ladies, I think the response to the designers and corporations who promote such insane standards should be - if you think we're buying your bull crap or your products anymore - fat chance!

4 comments:

KrippledWarrior said...

Excellent job Amber. I would like to go on record as saying I think you and Jessica are beautiful. And if I met Filipa Hamilton the first thing I'd do is make her a sandwich, and cut her some cake.
No more RL jeans for me either. Love ya bunches,
Kurt

Gary Means said...

It baffles me that someone would do a Photoshop job that badly. She looks ugly. Scary ugly. She looks like she had the muscles surgically removed from her arms and legs. And I know that corsets are coming back in style, but that waist is painful to look at.

BTW, Ralph Lauren did it again with another model in a campaign in Australia. This is just indecent.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/16/ralph-lauren-retouches-an_n_323674.html

Regi said...

this stuff makes me want to vomit

HennHouse said...

Well said.