About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The SCARY Thing About Halloween

I love Halloween. I know, in some of the more legalistic Christian circles, that's not a popular thing to say, but I'm not legalistic so I'll say what I want and I happen to love Halloween. I am well aware of the evil behind its origins and all that stuff that some people like to bring up but I'm also completely aware of the fact that dressing up and having a party and eating candy and taking kids trick-or-treating is not about anything evil. Enough of that.


As I was saying, I love Halloween. I love the crisp weather. I love the beautiful leaves. I love dressing up in silly costumes. I love the parties. I used to love taking my kids trick-or-treating (I really miss that), and I love the candy. I even love the spooky old movies that are more silly than spooky. But you know what's really scary about Halloween this year? The price of candy! Is it me or is the price of Halloween candy higher this year? I just got back from Walmart and wow ... candy prices seem to be higher than usual.


Tomorrow night is the party at church for all the kids. We all bring candy for around 120 kids. Since I'm of the mind set that there is no such thing as too much candy and since I'd rather not have to tell some little kid that I ran out, I buy for around 150. If there's some left over. Not a problem. I know how to take care of that. I also buy enough candy for both me and Brian to give it out to the kids so I usually buy around 300 fun sized candy bars. And I like to buy the good stuff. Who wants a bag full of junk Halloween candy, right? Normally I buy Reeses and M&M's. So you can imagine how disappointed I was when I saw that a bag of Reeses was $5 this year and only has 25 bars in it! That would add up pretty quickly. I could have easily spent $65 on candy. So, I still bought decent candy (Nestle, Payday, etc.) and I still bought enough for both of us to give out but there will be no Reeses or M&M's in the mix this year. Bummer.
BTW, are those two little guys not the CUTEST kids ever?? Never mind answering, I know they are. They're mine. :)

4 comments:

Marsha said...

Your little guys are absolutely adorable! I have a pirate this year too.

I also noticed candy prices have gotten phenomenal! I'm not sure what to hand out yet. I'm still pondering.

Amber said...

Thanks Marsha. That pic was from a long time ago. The pirate is now going to be a daddy to twins and the cowboy is leaving for the Army next week. Seems like yesterday they were that little though.

Barbara(aka Layla) said...

They look so cute! I have nothing against Halloween but its not my fave holiday. Come to think of it I don't have a fave holiday...

KrippledWarrior said...

Love Halloween.
Love to hear the screams and watch the kids run from house to house, in quest of more sweets. We try to have extra special treats for the little ones in the local neighborhood.