About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Eat It Up

Tomorrow is the traditional turkey day here in America. May you each have too much to eat and enjoy your family.

We had our Thanksgiving before Halloween this year. That was because my son was getting ready to head off to boot camp and would not be here on the big day. As it turned out, I was in the kitchen making pies (the one pictured here as a matter of fact) when he told me he was not going to the Army. So, we had Thanksgiving before Halloween for no good reason. BUT I am thankful that he's here and not at boot camp. Tomorrow we'll eat sandwiches and chicken wings and watch football and I think probably make a trip to Walmart to get a gift for one of the kids on the Rez. Sounds good to me.

I was thinking about other Thanksgivings we have had. A couple of years ago we had a family from Liberia over to share the meal with. It was fun. The lady was living in Liberia with her husband, son and brand new baby girl when the rebels came to their village. They fled for their lives and in the chaos, became separated from each other. She and her two children ended up in a refugee camp and were later sent to America to live. That was 6 or 7 years ago now and she still has no idea what ever happened to her husband. No word of if he is dead or alive or where he might be. I'm not sure how you go on after that, but she is doing a good job of it. She's a remarkable lady and its been a blessing knowing her.

When they were over for Thanksgiving dinner that day my husband thought he'd be really funny and ask how they celebrate Thanksgiving in Liberia. He was expecting to hear "we don't because the pilgrims didn't land there" or something like that but was surprised to hear that they do indeed celebrate Thanksgiving in Liberia. You see, Liberia was founded by freed slaves from the United States. The word "Liberia" is from the Latin and means "free". Also, the capital of Liberia is Monrovia - named after President James Monroe.

I have other Thanksgiving memories too - I was born on Thanksgiving Day - at noon! NO, that does NOT make me a turkey. And my family will recall the day my uncle was going to kill the turkeys for Thanksgiving and I had a fit. Really, an out and out fit to the point where they had to call my mom to come and get me and take me home. My youngest son must have taken after me because when he was little (he'll kill me for this) we all sat down to eat Thanksgiving dinner and he began to cry because the turkey had to die.

Those are just a few of mine.

So, what are your Thanksgiving memories?

2 comments:

Gary Means said...

I guess the thing that comes to mind for me is when my mother-in-law was still alive what a wonderful Thanksgiving we would have at her house. She had the true gift of hospitality. There were always people at the table who were not blood relatives, but were treated as family nonetheless. I miss my mother-in-law. A few days ago was the 10th anniversary of her death. I can't remember that first Thanksgiving immediately after her death. Perhaps that's a good thing.

Tomorrow we have my side of the family over to our house. I'm looking forward to it. Though I tend to have a somewhat negative or cynical view of life, I have an awful lot for which to be thankful.

Oh, and the main thing I wanted to say when I started this comment was how glad I am to hear that your son is not going into the military. Not that I have anything against military service, I just did not want you facing the constant worry for your son's safety in the field. Not that being a policeman is such a safe job, but at least he will not actively be a target for wearing the uniform.

Kansas Bob said...

My favorite memories are the family trips we took to see my Dad in Mississippi in the early 80s. He and my Mom had recently divorced.. it was so good for him and for me to be together those years when I was the only one close enough to be with him.

Thanks for reminding me Amber.

Hope your day is a great one!