About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Friday, January 01, 2010

Days 2 & 3

Well, since I have little else to talk about I'll be one of those folks who blog about my recovery. Ha ha!

Percocet is my new best friend. Its great and had kept the pain manageable.

I'm really grateful for good friends and a good husband. Fred and Judy brought my some Chick-Fil-A for lunch yesterday. I LOVE Chick-Fil-A and I love Fred and Judy. Yesterday, which was the day after surgery I returned to the doctor and then went to physical therapy. I had dreaded it because I knew it would be rough but actually after I got there, was able to dress normally and saw how much range of motion I now have I was pretty pumped. I can move my arm above my head now, which I couldn't do before. It hurts and is a pretty excruciating process but I can do it - before I couldn't. Now its just a matter of keeping it up so I don't freeze up and lose it again. I've got a baseball bat and a pulley that helps me to stretch it out at home. It felt great to get the bulky bandages off and to be able to put my arm through a shirt sleeve and dress normally - for the most part.

I had wondered about restrictions and was pleased to find out that aside from lifting with my left arm, there really aren't any. When the PT told me that I said, "Good 'cause I'm not all that crazy about how my husband fixed my hair today". He cracked up but took Brian's side since he's a dad to a 4 year old daughter and understands how hard it is for some guys to do hair.

Speaking of Brian - he's been great. He slept on the floor so he could be close by in case I needed anything in the night. I can't sleep in a bed so I'm on the couch propped up with pillows. He's done a great job of doing everything for me ... when I'll let him. I'm pretty independent and like doing things for myself unless I just can't. I'm good about asking for help when I need it though.

Today, day three, I decided to see if I could go without the pain meds. I have therapy 5 days a week for 4 weeks and its pretty aggressive therapy so I know I'm going to need the meds then. I'm afraid I will run out and the doc won't be too cool about prescribing narcotics again so I thought I'd better cut back and save them ...... bad idea. I've still done my exercises today but I don't feel so good today.

No comments: