About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

It'll Cost You Your Heart

When you go on a mission trip, you will lose part of yourself. You will lose a part of your heart. I don't think it matters where you go ... you will never again hear about that place or the people there without feeling touched personally. Six years ago I went to Haiti. Although I've not been back because I've been led to work in other areas, part of my heart will always be in Haiti.

Like many of you, I've sat this week and watched news reports from there about the earthquake and have felt helpless. I've wondered what I can do in the midst of such suffering. I've wondered about the people I met there and if they were affected. Of course they were affected. .. All of us are, even those who don't live there ... but you know what I mean. It was disturbing to hear that Jose was unaccounted for after the quake. The mission where we go is in the Northwest part of Haiti and suffered no damage but Jose just happened to be on Port-au-Prince the day of the quake. He has since been heard from and is in fact there doing all he can to help the rescue efforts.

As the news reports come in I find it difficult to watch but also difficult to turn away from. I also find it odd that life can still go on in the States as if nothing has happened, and yet, what other choice is there really?

Please, as you go about your day, remember Haiti and please do whatever you can do to help. What they need most is money. There are several organizations that can pass along your donation.

And if you want a glimpse into the lives of someone who is there, Jose's wife Jody has a blog that is well worth a read.

2 comments:

Kansas Bob said...

It has been difficult to watch the news.. it is so heart breaking and gut-wrenching.

KrippledWarrior said...

Amber,
I agree with you. But life continuing doesn't mean we don't care, pray or donate. And somethings are better left unseen. Because they can't be unseen once they are seen.