About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Eat to Lose Weight, HUH??

Yup, that's what I said - eat to lose weight. My super fit hubby shared this piece of info with me and guess what - it works! I'm not into science but it is based on science and leptin levels and all of that.

Like I said, I'm not into science but I'm sure you can Google it and get all the info. The thing I'm into is eating ... and being healthy, which is why I really like this.


Severe dieting can do you harm. We know that, right? I know that from experience. So the idea is to eat a healthy diet of lean meats and veggies and the good kind of carbs (whole grains), work out regularly, and once a week have what I call the blessed cheat day. On your cheat day you get to eat what you want. Don't worry about it. Just enjoy. By doing that you actually will kick your metabolism up a notch. Not only does it do your body good but it is a great break mentally too. Its fun to plan ahead for your cheat day. Dieting can really drag you down and make you feel deprived and that's a sure way to defeat yourself - plus it can be self-defeating because you're body adapts to the usual and doesn't burn fuel (calories) as efficiently.

Something else I've found helpful is to not be too legalistic about anything. The key is BALANCE - not rigid rules.

Some things that are helping me (and remember I am NOT a health freak or a professional or anything of the sort - I'm just a middle-aged overweight lady who wants to stay active as long as possible).

  • I have an app on my phone that I can easily and quickly enter foods to track calories. If I don't record it somehow somewhere, I'll end up way over my limit. If I'm a little over the limit that's fine but way over is not good.

  • A playlist of music that keeps me moving at the gym. Fast music makes me want to move faster and if its a song I like, all the better cause I'll stay on that bike or treadmill for 3 more minutes just to hear it. I HATE exercise - especially cardio but music makes it a bit more fun.
  • Stick to your goals. Other people will have their opinions of what you should and shouldn't do. Some will differ with the idea of a cheat day. Oh well. Their loss. :) I struggle with this because I tend to compete with myself. I not competitive with other people but I do compete with myself pretty hard and I can have a tendency to be distracted from my goals. As I said, I'm overweight and I'd love to lose weight but, that cannot be my goal because I know I won't see results fast enough and will quit. I have to constantly remind myself that my goal is to be healthy and to stay active for as long as possible. I'd hate for something fun to come up and me not be able to do it because I wasn't up to it. ;)

  • Do NOT be too hard on yourself. Do what you can do and if you can, push it just a wee bit further all the better. So what if you're not an athlete? Who cares? Nobody. Some days I can do 45 min. of cardio. Other days I can only get 15 in. Just keep at it and don't beat yourself up for the "bad" days and you'll find the bad days get fewer and further between.

1 comment:

KrippledWarrior said...

Excellent advice pretty lady. This is how I feel about religion. Not about God or Christ. Just the "Supposed To Do" things the way we say, stuff.