About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Sunday, March 07, 2010

First Run (What Was I Thinking???)

I just ran/walked my first mile. I was all set to start the Couch to 5k training plan on Tues, but decided, "Oh what the heck, I'll go for a trial run today". Initially I was thinking that the first week of the Cto5k plan would be boring. I mean really, Walk 5 min., Run 2 min., Walk 5 min. How boring. I can do an hour of cardio at the gym so running for 2 min. would be a bore ... right?

WRONG!

I didn't even make the two minutes before my throat was burning, my lungs felt like they were going to explode, my knees were screaming at me to stop the insanity, and I felt slightly dizzy. Not a good sign.

This is pathetic.

So I walked, and I ran and I walked for a whole mile. Woopee. Yes, that is sarcasm you hear.

But hey, you've gotta start somewhere. So on Tuesday I'll drag my sorry butt out there and do it again. And I'll keep doing it at my own pace until I am running the entire mile. I'll let you know when that happens ... sometime next year.

3 comments:

HennHouse said...

It will go fast. I have a friend who did the C25K program in eight weeks and ran a 5K--the whole thing. Not fast. Not pretty. But he did it.

You'll do it, too.

Barbara said...

Amber, you are aMAZing to even try! Keep it up and next thing you know, you'll be another Karin :)

Kansas Bob said...

Way to go Amber! I am cheering you on!