About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Stuck!

Since the first of the year I've been working out with the goal of being healthier and being able to maintain the level of activity I enjoy. I like doing crazy things like going on back-breaking mission trips, shopping for mega amounts of school supplies, and going for an occasional skydive. I would also like to be able to keep up with my grandkids and maybe even run a 5k.

Injuring my shoulder was a clear signal that if I didn't begin to "move it", I would "lose it". If I want to stay active - I need to be active.

So, as soon as surgery was over, I hit the gym. I could do a lot but I did what I could. I rode a stationary bike and did some lower body weight training. In March when I was released to do upper body weight training, I added that. And I began running.

Things have been progressing well ... until recently.

I have hit the infamous "plateau". I just seem to be stuck in the same place, unable to make any further progress. I can run 1.5 miles. No further. I've been aiming for the 2 mile goal for some time now with no success. Today I ran 1.5 and was pretty sure I was going to die the last half mile. And I've lifted the same amount of weight at the gym now for a couple of months. Its not bad ... I lift a fair amount (yes that's a pic of my weights at the gym) but I just can't seem in increase.

So what's a girl to do? Well, I think I'm going to increase weight and do less reps for a while and see if that makes a difference. As for the running ... I just refuse to give up. I don't know if I'll ever be able to run a 5k or not but I do know that I will always run at least 1.5 miles from here on out. I'll keep trying to go further, but I'm most definitely NOT running less.

4 comments:

Kansas Bob said...

Way to go Amber! Maybe stuck is a good place.. sometimes endurance is built as we keep on doing what we know to do without seeing any success.

brian said...

I'm envious of anyone who can run any distance. It seems like such a great exercise. But, I just can't get into it.

Is there a particular reason why you want to lift more weight or run farther? A mile and a half seems like a pretty good distance to run to me and I would think that's about all you need for a good cardio workout. If getting and staying in shape is your goal, maybe you've gotten as far as you need to, for now. I'm sure you'll break through that plateau. But, it might require some patience.

Amber said...

Thanks Bob and Brian. Brian, my main goal is to be able to stay active and be generally healthier and running a mile and half would do that. I had hoped to be able to run 3 miles before Oct. because Backpacks For Pine Ridge is having a 5k at the end of Oct. and I wanted to run it. I don't know whether I will or not - I'll at least run/walk it. :) Oh yeah, another reason to run further is I could burn more calories which means I could eat more. ;)

brian said...

I hear ya (the eating more thing). I'd be willing to bet by the end of October you'll be able to do that 5K.

I'm toying with the idea of trying to start running once I finish the program I'm doing now. Hopefully, it'll improve my cardio enough that I can give it a shot. I've tried it a couple of times but I haven't gotten to the point where it's even close to enjoyable. It's more like torture.