About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Sunday, August 01, 2010

Fear Not

Telling somebody not to be afraid is, well, pretty pointless. I'm not sure what the angel thought he/she was accomplishing when they appeared to people in the Bible and told them to "Fear not". Did they really think that would work? I don't know. I do know that fear is normal, and natural, and that it is in fact a God-given emotion. How we handle that emotion is what makes it good or bad. There are some things we should be afraid of. But I've learned that when fear keeps us from living life it can bring about a much worse kind of death.

Me? I am afraid of heights. I know, I know - I have gone skydiving - jumping out of airplanes isn't something people who are afraid of heights would do, right? So how does that figure? Well, I don't know but somehow jumping out of a plane isn't nearly as scary to me as doing what we did yesterday. Yesterday a group of us went Ziplining. Is ziplining a word? I don't know, but at some point some of us thought it would be a good idea to tie on a harness, clip ourselves to a cable and swing through the treetops at over 150 feet in the air. I was excited and couldn't wait to go. Then after getting back from the Pine Ridge trip I was both exhausted and overwhelmed. There is so much after-trip stuff to do to finish up the trip and then REZonate is just around the corner and there is a ton of work to be done for that. I was so stressed and going to zipline just seemed like one more thing on my "to do" list. I decided not to go.

But as time got closer I knew I would regret it if I didn't do it. We got there and it was raining. By that time the butterflies were in full gear in my stomach. I had started thinking about the rope bridges and wondered what I'd gone and gotten myself into now. Normally when I see a rope bridge I just dig my heels in and refuse to go further. My hope was that maybe, just maybe, they wouldn't let us do it in the rain. But when I suggested to the lady at the counter that we surely couldn't do this in the rain she just smiled and said, "Oh yes you sure can". So we harnessed up and went. I hugged a few trees, but I wasn't about to give up and quit (although the thought crossed my mind). And I'm glad I did it. I may or may not do it again, but I'm glad I did it yeseterday. I would have really, really regretted it if I hadn't gone.

Here are some pics ...

Me crossing one of the many rope bridges.

Yeah, I'm probably not supposed to post this pic but I don't have any others

and buying these still won't let me download them


Me zipping




Me hugging a tree

(Thanks to Sherri for this pic)



One of the platforms and rope bridges. Standing on these platforms was WHY I hugged

the trees. Imagine 13 of us on that little platform. Yup, I was plastered to the tree.

(Thanks to Sherri for this pic)


The whole group "After" helmet hair and all.

So yeah, don't be afraid of living life. Be afraid of not living it.

No comments: