About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Monday, October 11, 2010

All About the Nike+

Three weeks from today I will have finished my first 5k. I will have finished it either by running all of it, running part of it and walking the rest, or running it partway and being carried off on a stretcher. Anyway I do it, I'm going to do it SLOW. I'm looking forward to it with a sense of both excitement and fear. Those four hills in the course have me worried. If it weren't for them, I think I could do this thing.

I was really, REALLY discouraged last week. I've been running (see my stats from the Daily Mile site at the side of this blog) and I thought I'd been running further than I had. I mapped it out with my Jeep and thought that from my driveway to the main road and back was a mile. Since I'd been running that twice I thought I had been running 2 miles. Last week I went on google maps and found that according to them, it was more like 1.5 miles. UGH! I'd been nearly killing myself for a mile and a half??? On Saturday though I felt much, MUCH better when I ran it 3 times. That was nearly 2.75 miles no matter how you count it and further than I've ran before (this decade anyway).

SO yesterday I bought the Nike+ system. Now let me be clear I do not like Nike. Sure they have cool stuff but they also have one of the worst reputations for child labor and sweat shop practices. I just HATE to support that. But no one else makes a system like this. It comes with a little chip thingy that you put on your shoe. Nike shoes have a special pocket inside the shoe for it - way cool BUT I do not like Nike and it CAN be used with other shoes. Then you plug the other part of the gadget into your iPod nano, iPod Touch or iPhone and you can not only hear your favorite music while you run but you can also hear feedback from your run so you know your distance, time, pace, calories burned, etc. Very cool right? But there's more.

If you're lucky enough to have the iPhone you can also get an app that allows you to post on Facebook when you go out for a run and your friends can cheer you on by posting a comment on your Facebook status. You will hear these comments through your iPhone while you are running. Crazy huh?

And if you have a 5th generation iPod nano there is the "Power Song" feature. If there is one song that really gets you going and motivates you you simply press on the center button when you are running and starting to feel a bit draggy and it'll play your power song for you.

I don't have either the iPhone or the 5th generation nano but its good enough for me to get feedback about distance/time/etc.

Crazy stuff.

So why am I doing this "commercial" for a company I hate so much? Well ... because to be fair, Nike HAS recently done a bit better - at least they have teamed up with the One Campaign to make Product RED shoe laces and a shoe that will go toward fighting AIDS in Africa. AND they do make the LiveStrong products that benefit cancer research. They could do a lot more but I've gotta give them credit for doing what they are doing.

No comments: