About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Hardest Physical Challenge I've Ever Done

In April of this year I started running with the hope of being able to do a 5k. There have been many, many, MANY times I thought I must be crazy to take up running at age 48. I ran in my 30's but, trust me, it was a whole different thing then. If you happen to read this and your in your 30's and run - don't stop. Its WAAAYYY harder when you're older.

Running is hard. Some make it look so easy but training for the 5k is the hardest physical thing I've ever done in my life. I've gone to bed with ice packs more times than I can count & I've ran more discouraging runs than I can remember. It has seemed like 3 steps forward, 2 steps back all year long. But I'm happy to say that I ran my first 5k this morning! My time was 36 min. 10 seconds. That's slow for a runner but for me, its great! I'm not worried about time - the thing was to just do it.


It's been a long haul. A normal person is supposed to be able to go from being a couch potato to running a 5k in just 6 weeks. HA! Its taken me 7 months. Oh well, I never claimed to be normal. Clearly, I'm not very good at it. But I'm not about to stop. Not for a minute.


Thanks to Brian Whitlock for the pics!







2 comments:

HennHouse said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!

I really hope you have the 5K again next year... we couldn't make it due to my mom's 60th birthday.

KrippledWarrior said...

GREAT JOB, SWEETIE.