About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Tuesday, December 07, 2010

I Think I Like This



I was so impressed with the homemade laundry detergent that I began researching other homemade cleaning supplies.

And I found a homemade toilet bowl cleaner. I've tested it and it works well, is cheap and easy to mix up.

Here is what I did:

  • Bought an empty squeeze bottle (this one happens to be tilted too to make it even better)
  • Bought a bottle of Castile soap at Target for $9.99 (pictured) Its cost a bit but it will last a very long time
  • And used some Baking Soda that I already had.

In a glass mixing up with a spout, mix 3/4 cup of baking soda and 1 cup of water. Stir so that its thick. Add 1/2 teaspoon of the castile soap to this and stir again. Pour into the squeeze bottle and you're done!

To use it, just squeeze it around the inside of the toilet bowl like you would the store-bought stuff, let it sit a few minutes and scrub with the toilet brush. It clings to the bowl just like the store-bought stuff. Baking soda has been a well known cleaner and deodorizer for many, many years.

You should note that while the toilet bowl is clean and smells clean, it is not disinfected. To do that you can pour in some bleach after you clean it.

While the castile soap was about $10, you only use 1/2 teaspoon of it so it will last a long time.

I like it because it works, its cheap, and it doesn't take but a few minutes to make - and its "greener" and non-toxic to pets or kids.

1 comment:

Lori Gosselin said...

Hey Amber,
This looks like a great idea! I can't wait to pick up the Castile soap and try it! I think a home hair-coloring bottle would work for this - I hope I can find one with the tilted top!
Thanks!
Lori