About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Thursday, December 02, 2010

The Verdict is In ... And ...

So, what do I do in my "off season", when I'm not running crazy organizing and leading mission trips and fundraisers, and pulling REZonate together? Well ... I do other crazy things.

First I've got to thank my friend Rhonda for this bit of info. She posted a link about how to make your own laundry detergent on Facebook and ... well ... I was curious. I HATE spending money on laundry detergent when it could be spent on FOOD, so I decided to give it a whirl.

Brian thought I had completely lost it. I think his actual words to me were, "go ahead and wash your clothes in it first and see if it eats through them". Nice.

So, I did. And ... I like it! It works very well and its WAAAYYY cheaper than the store bought detergent.

So, if you're brave, here's the recipe and some tips for how to make your own.

Needed:

1, 5 gallon bucket with a lid

1/2 cup of Borax

1 cup of Washing Soda (not baking soda)

1 bar of soap

A large pot

What to do:

Put about 4 cups of water in the pot on the stove and heat to a boil. While it is heating grate the bar of soap into small shavings. When the water is boiling, lower heat and add soap bits a little at a time, stirring until the soap is dissolved.

Next, pour the Washing Soda and the Borax into the 5 gal. bucket and add about 3 gallons of warm water. Stir and add the soapy water from the stove. Stir well, cover with the lid and let it sit for 24 hours.

When you take the lid off it will look AWFUL. It'll look like a bunch of globbly goop, or as Rhonda said, "snot".

Now its ready to use. Be sure to stir it well before use and then use 1 cup per laundry load.

At this point I had real doubts, but I went ahead and used it and was surprised!

I tested it on my very, very sweaty running shirt and it came out clean with no bad smell at all.

So, I can say I'm happy and will be using this from now on. Its easy to make, it works, and its CHEAP! The materials make enough for several 5 gal. buckets of this and I only spent about $7 on it. I should easily have 300 loads of laundry from it.

Some of my suggestions:

  • I would suggest is to put a cup of soap into the wash as the washer is filling up and let it fill before adding your clothes so that those glumps are broken up better in the water.
  • I also put part of the detergent into some old tupperware cereal boxes I had because they have lids that make it easy to shake before use and to pour. (pictured above)
  • If you like a nice fragrance to your laundry you can go to a Health Food Store and buy Essential Oils in whatever scent you like and add that to your mixture. Google it to find out how much.

1 comment:

Regi said...

yo can also try these:

http://stores.greenvirginproducts.com/StoreFront.bok

soap nuts. I've been using them for over a year abd I'm still on the first $30 bag I bought. you can do laundry, make cleaning solution, I've even washed my hair with it. AWESOME stuff!!!