About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Monday, January 30, 2012

Homemade Salve for Dry Skin

I know people think I'm nuts, but I like saving money and if I can find a homemade product that saves money and is healthier for you, all the better.  I personally don't like all the chemicals that are in the food we eat and the products we use, so anytime I can cut those out with something that works just as well or better, I'm in. 

So, I found a recipe for a Homemade Salve for Dry Skin on the TLC site and decided to give it a try.   It was surprisingly easy and inexpensive and for the most part, could be made with things you have around the house.  

I know some people think its just too time consuming or too much trouble to make your own products, but really the hardest part of this was grating the beeswax and that took maybe 2 minutes.  You can easily do this while you're doing something else around the house because the biggest time investment is waiting 30 minutes for the oil to infuse with the herbs. 

Here are the steps:

Pour 1 cup of olive oil (or any kind of oil you like) into a saucepan. 
Add 1 cup of flower petals or fresh herbs of the aroma you like.  (I used Rosemary but you can use any flower or herb you have growing in your garden).

Heat to a simmer over medium heat.  When it begins to simmer, remove it from the burner, cover, and let steep for about 30 minutes. 





While that is steeping, grate 1/4 cup of beeswax.  Beeswax can be found at health food stores.  I found a small piece at Jungle Jim's for $1.99 and I should be able to get 5-6 jars of salve out of it. 


After the oil has steeped, strain it through a cheesecloth into a small mixing bowl. (I used a coffee filter and metal strainer).

Stir in the grated beeswax until it melts. I had to reheat the oil in the microwave because it had cooled to much to melt the beeswax. 

Then pour it into a jar (the small half pint Mason jars are perfect).  Let cool until it thickens into a salve consistency. 


So for the cost of the beeswax ($1.99) and oil (if you don't have olive oil on hand you can usually find it on sale for less than $5.00) you can probably get at least 4 jars of salve.  AND its healthy for your skin because its natural and contains no chemicals.  

No comments: