About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Barber Case

Those who follow me on Facebook will know about this but have yet to see the pics.  For the past couple of weeks I've been working on a project that I hope, will honor my dad as well as preserve some memories and be something that can be passed down and treasured for generations. 

When I was a little girl my dad worked as a barber at Bob King's Barber Shop in Petersburg, Indiana.  Recently, I had an idea to create a shadowbox of sorts to keep my dad's old barber tools in.  I went to the local craft store and they quoted between $350-$600 to do it.  Now, what is inside is priceless, but that doesn't mean I need to spend a fortune to put it in there.  So I tossed around the idea of doing it myself.  That made me nervous because I've never done anything like that ... and I wanted it to be done "right".  The last thing I wanted was something tacky, and I was afraid that would be all I could do.  Still .... I wanted to do something ....

The do-it-yourself frames weren't all that impressive - just basic black or wooden frames - and they didn't look to be deep enough either.  And then it occured to me that I medicine cabinet would be perfect!  First, I went to some salvage yards to see if I could find an old one.  No luck there.  So Home Depot was the next stop.  There I saw one that I loved!  It just said "barber shop" to me for some reason - but the size was wrong.  Next stop, Menards.  That is where I found this one.


It was almost exactly what I wanted, but the wrong color.  I debated. And debated.  And then bought it and decided to paint it a dark expresso color. 



Then I assembled the barber tools to see what I had to work with. 

A piece of foam board cut to fit the back of the cabinet and covered with the old barber smock would be the background.

The door was sent to a local glass shop to have the mirror replaced with glass.
Then I got the brilliant idea to etch the glass with dad's last name "Dyson" in a cool-looking font.  The problem with that - I've never done anything like that before either.  But, if you know me, you know that doesn't usually slow me down much. 


I got some contact paper, printed out the design I wanted on my computer, traced it with pencil on the back (a trick I learned in art school) and then cut away the design.   Once the door was back from the glass shop, I sealed the template down and covered it with etching cream.



And, then it was on to assembly.  The finished project looks like this .....

That pictures isn't the best.  It was hard to get a good picture without a glare from the windows.  These may give a better idea.




Among the items in there are a picture of dad cutting my oldest son's hair in what I believe must have been his first haircut.  The shave brush at the top and the green straight edge razor belonged to my dad's dad.  For some reason we can't seem to find the one that belonged to dad.  And the razor strop was the one he got when he went to barber school. 

It is still not completely finished.  I special ordered a latch for the door.  I'm still waiting for it to get in.  It's an old vintage-looking latch that should be perfect on the case. 

So, there it is.  Its not professional by any means, but I like it.  A lot. 

No comments: