About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

I may be crazy but, I've taken to doing dishes the old fashioned way - by hand.  I got tired of paying more and more money for dishwasher detergent.  And I got tired of that nasty white film on my glasses.  

In case you didn't know, the EPA made companies take the phosphates out of dishwasher detergent a while back and that is why you may be seeing more of the white film.  I even used vinigar as a rinse aid and still - the white film. 


So .... I decided enough was enough. 


 I bought the cute bamboo dish drainer at Ikea for $5.  They are sold elsewhere for $20 and up.  That might be the only thing I've found at Ikea that I like.  And I crocheted the scrubbie (actually a couple of them).  And the result - cleaner dishes!  The white film is gone, my glasses sparkle and even the coffee stains on my coffee cups are gone.  And I don't know for sure yet, but I suspect I'm saving on water and electricity too. 

It may sound time-consuming, but not really so much.  I find I'm fooling with dishes a lot less than when I was using the dishwasher.  Even after our Easter dinner (we had 10 people over for dinner and dessert) I had the dishes washed and put away in 20 minutes. 

I can deal with that. 

No comments: