About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Saturday, February 23, 2013

The "Betty" Holster Review

Here is my review of  The "Betty" holster for women ... although, I suppose a man could use it too.  Like The "Ava" which I reviewed below, the "Betty" is another holster in the "Pin Up" collection that is designed for women by Looper Law Enforcement

The Betty is a thermoplastic In The Waistband, holster that is molded to fit each specific gun.  I personally use The "Betty" for my Smith & Wesson J Frame revolver.

What I Like About It:

  • It covers the trigger guard completely.  As I've said before, safety is a huge thing for me and I really want my holsters to cover the trigger guard.  The "Betty" does that.




  • Its small.   I mean, fit in the palm of your hand small. 



  • It is comfortable.  It is so lightweight and small that you barely know its there.
  • The hooks are strong and will hold tightly to your waistband without a belt. 

  • The cant is adjustable.  You can move it to virtually any position you want.
  • It is versatile.  While it may not be the most comfortable way to wear it, it can be clipped to the inside of a boot or to the inside divider of a *purse and worn that way. 
What Needs Getting Used To:

  • While the hook is strong and the cant is adjustable, the trade off is that sometimes with extended wear, the screw on the hook will need to be tightened.  No biggie - just be aware of that or it can get a little sloppy.
What I Don't Like About It:

  • The retention.  While it does a good job of holding the gun in place during normal activities, if turn upside down, the gun will fall out.  If the retention were better, this would be a perfect holster.

As for concealment.  As I've said before, I find concealing even a very small gun a huge challenge.  The Betty is not perfect.  In some clothing it will print, but I've worn it for quite a while and no one has ever mentioned seeing it.  In fact, people who know I carry sometimes ask me where it is. 
*I am not a fan of purse carry.  How many times do your children or grandchildren get into your purse to look for candy or something?  Do you really want them getting into your purse if there is a gun in it?  It is also easy to forget and leave a purse behind in a restaurant or store. It doesn't happen often, but it only takes once.  And then too, if someone is going to mug you, what will they likely go for - your purse.  Then they have your purse and your gun.  I know sometimes purse carry is necessary but I don't recommend it. 

5 comments:

Burun Estetiği said...

I wanted to thank you for this special read. I definitely savored every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post....
burun estetigi

KrippledWarrior said...

long time no see how have you been? I like the look of this little pancake

Amber said...

Hey buddy! I'm good. How have you been doing? I spend more time on Facebook now than blogging. Good to hear from ya.

John Daniels said...

The complaint about the retention is common with holsters like this. Let me ask you something. How often will you be carrying the gun around in the holster upside down, and not inside your waistband? Part of the retention on holsters like this comes from the waistband and/or belt of your pants.

"if turn upside down, the gun will fall out."

That's an unrealistic test, and doesn't demonstrate anything meaningful. Only active retention duty holsters will pass that test, and they're designed for a totally different use scenario.

I just figured somebody should point that out.

Amber said...

Hey John, You are correct, not many of us carry the holster upside down. The issue is when you have to use the restroom. That may be more of a problem for us ladies than for men, but it is an issue. :)