About Me

My photo
My passion is helping others defend themselves and their families. I am an NRA Certified pistol instructor, a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - North Cincinnati, and the state leader of TWAW Shooting Chapters - Ohio. I also have a heart for the Lakota people and lead mission teams to the Pine Ridge Reservation each year, am founder and director of Backpacks For Pine Ridge,, and do various volunteer work in my own community. My greatest joy is being a grandma and hanging out with my husband of 30+ years.

Saturday, April 13, 2013

What The Heck??


I’m sure there are some folks out there scratching their heads and wondering what the heck when they hear that I am a NRA Certified Firearms Instructor.  Well, let me assure you, I’m right there with ya. 
I think this journey began a while back when I got my eyes opened to much I was fooling myself about how safe I was.  You can read about that earlier in this blog.  Once my eyes were open, I began to see friends of mine who were also putting themselves and their children at risk.  Somewhere inside of me a strong desire began to develop to help women be better able to defend themselves and protect their children.  I wasn’t sure what direction that would take, but the passion was definitely growing.
Then an opportunity arose to lead a local chapter of The Well Armed Woman.  The Well Armed Woman was formed last year by Carrie Lightfoot in order to educate, equip, and empower women to protect themselves.  It’s a group where women of all shooting experience levels can come together to learn about firearms in a less intimidating environment.  Some of the women are afraid of guns but feel they need one to protect themselves.  Others are more experienced. We all get together to teach and encourage one another.  That was right up my ally.    I applied and before long, was in the midst of starting up the North CincinnatiChapter.   As of this posting we have just over 20 women on the email list and we have no t even had our first meeting yet. 
Safety and responsibility are stressed at these  meetings and one requirement is to have a Certified Instructor or Range Safety Officer on hand during the range portion.   I figured it would be easier to get the training and become certified myself than to find someone, possibly have to pay them, and then count on them to be present – I knew I would be present … and so … last weekend I completed my training.  I must say it was a bit intimidating.  Besides one other lady (also a Well Armed Woman leader) everyone in the class were either military or police.  One guy had even guarded President Reagan … and here I was a housewife and grandma.  But ya know what? I did ok and one of those police officers even tracked me down at lunch to tell me he was impressed with  my shooting.

Now I will be busy.  Not only am I serving these women in our chapter but I’ve officially hung out my shingle and will be teaching Concealed Carry Classes.  I certainly don’t believe I’m going to get rich doing that, but maybe I’ll make a few dollars and will be in a position to teach safe gun handling.  You can find my brand new page here

No comments: